(Color - NTSC/2003 - HD/2016 - 12 min. - Brazil)
Synopsis: Illuminations tells a story about two dancers who experience their bodies in a process of creation, while a painter is in existential and artistic conflict with himself. Under an Impressionist photography, the painting and the dance lie in the unconsciousness of the characters, who come alive in a poetic and narrative context, enriched with poems by Fernando Pessoa.
"Old sailors had a glorious phrase:
Sailing is essential; living is not essential.
I want the spirit of this phrase for me.
Living is not necessary; creating is necessary.
Even if I have to use my body and my voice
As a means of sustaining this fire."
(Fernando Pessoa, Brazilian poet)
Production: Goulart Filmes
Producers: Yves Goulart and Marcelo Nigri
Director and screenwriter: Yves Goulart
Assistant director: Thiago Magalhães
Cinematography: Yves Goulart
Cameras: Yves Goulart and Thiago Magalhães
Editing: Antonia Gama and Telma Cunha
Choreographers and dancers: João Paulo Gross and Marcelo Nigri
Actor and painter: Alexandre Rudáh
Music: Felipe Rocha and Tito Carlos
Art designer: Luciane Nardi
Translation: Marcelo Nigri and Dermival Furtado Costa
- Brazilian Endowment for the Arts – Goulart’s Films (New York, May 2008);
- Brazilian-American Cultural Institute (BACI) – Goulart’s Films (Washington, DC, January 2008);
- Cena Rio – Partnerships (Rio de Janeiro, December 2004).
- Brazilian Cutting Edge Festival (London, April 2006);
- Brazilian View Film Fest (London, October 2005);
- MOVE Videodance Festival (Rio de Janeiro, October 2004);
- 9th Brazilian University Film Festival – Competitive Showing (Rio de Janeiro, June 2004).
- UTV – Gama Films (Rio de Janeiro, June 2004).
This is an experimental film with educational purposes only, with no commercial value in any way.
Back to Filmography | Back to top